Warriors Fall To Bison In Inaugural Lacrosse Game

Photo by John Bolton Photography
Photo by John Bolton Photography

Central, SC – Southern Wesleyan fell 13-1 in the inaugural women's lacrosse game against the Oklahoma Baptist Bison.

The Warriors posted nine shots in the loss.  Taylor Hames led the team with four shots, and she was followed by Abigail Welch with three.  Hames went on to lead the team with four shots on goal.  Abigail Welch posted the first goal in Southern Wesleyan history for the Warriors.  Kaeleigh McDaniel played in goal for the Warriors and had 13 saves while allowing 13 goals.


Game Vitals

Final: Oklahoma Baptist 13, Southern Wesleyan 1

Records: Southern Wesleyan (0-1), Oklahoma Baptist (1-1)


Coach Schneider says...

"I'm thankful that Oklahoma Baptist was able to make the trip out to play us.  We played hard and are still learning the game.  With injuries and illness, we had to change our lineup.  But we were able to go out and learn different positions.  We made a few adjustments at half and played better in the second half.  Everyone played well, and we had some great plays.  Now we have a few days to watch film and prepare before our next game." 


How It Happened

In the inaugural game at Southern Wesleyan, Oklahoma Baptist received the ball first.  The Warriors took several free position attempts and Abigail Welch had a shot that went wide right.  The Bison recovered the ball and Allsion Ingrim took a shot, but goal keeper Kaeleigh McDaniel saved the ball.  Oklahoma Bapist continued the pressure, scoring back-to-back goals to take a 2-0 lead over the Warriors.  Southern Wesleyan took several shots, but the Bison countered and had an 11-0 lead at half time.

Southern Wesleyan kicked off the second half with back-to-back shots by Jairy Sandoval and Taylor Hames, but the Bison kept the ball from reaching the net.  Oklahoma Baptist countered on the Warriors shots with a goal by Taryn Burks to give the Bison a 12-0 lead over the Warriors.  Hames pushed the ball down the field to take two shots on goal, but both were saved by Olivia Ward.  The Bison put another goal on the board to take a 13-0 lead.  With just under two minutes left to play, Southern Wesleyan gained control of the ball.  Abigail Welch received the ball and shot it into the net to score the first goal in SWU's lacrosse history.  The Warriors fell in a 13-1 final.


What's Next

The Warriors will next play at home on February 15 as they take on the Lees-McRae Bobcats at 4 p.m.  This will be the Conference Carolinas opener for the Warriors.  They will remain at home on February 21 as they take on the Erskine College Flying Fleet at 7 p.m.