Despite Dropping 102 points, the Warriors Fall in Double Overtime

Photo by John Bolton Photography
Photo by John Bolton Photography

Central, S.C. - Southern Wesleyan was dealt a tough double overtime loss on Wednesday evening. The Warriors fell to the Lees-McRae Bobcats in a 106-102 final.

As a team, the Warriors shot 49.3% on Wednesday evening. Ta'Jay Dunlap led the way with 25 points and was followed by Clenzo Ross with 24 and Hunter Davis with 20. Holmes had a double-double on the night, with 12 points and 11 rebounds to lead the team defensively. Southern Wesleyan posted 42 rebounds in total. Of the 16 assists, Ross and TJ Harvin each added four, with Dunlap tacking on three. Dunlap also drew three steals while Holmes came up with three blocks.


Game Vitals

Final: Lees-McRae 106, Southern Wesleyan 102

Records: Southern Wesleyan (6-5 / CC 3-2) Lees-McRae (9-3 / CC 2-2)


How It Happened

The Bobcats jumped out with an 8-0 run to start off the contest with the momentum. Clenzo Ross' dunk would put Southern Wesleyan on the board and lead to a layup from Tranard Ferrell to put the Warriors trailing 4-10. Lees-McRae would run with their comfortable lead as the Warriors kept battling when they entered double digit figures on a layup from Hunter Davis. A dunk from Davis would pull the Warriors within three, trailing only 19-22. With a 3-pointer, Cameron Holmes cut the Bobcats lead to two as halftime approached. Lees-McRae would extend their lead to 45-36 and the Warriors were unable to close the gap by halftime.

Southern Wesleyan immediately showed they meant business out of halftime with responding to each made basket by the Bobcats. After trailing by nine, the Warriors were down only 50-56 thanks to Davis' layup. The Bobcats maintained their lead, but a 3-pointer from Ross and a layup from Davis would tie the game at 77-77. Lees-McRae regained their lead, but it was short lived as Southern Wesleyan claimed their first lead of the game at 87-85 on a 3-pointer from Jalen Lowery. With only seconds remaining, the Bobcats would make a layup and force overtime. 

In the first minute of overtime, each team collected two points to remain neck and neck. The Warriors would take a 92-90 lead on shots from Holmes and Lowery. The Bobcats would match that score and another basket from each team would send the game into double overtime, tied at 94-94.

The second overtime would begin with a Southern Wesleyan turnover that led to a Bobcat basket. Lees-McRae would own the lead as Holmes' 3-pointer would pull the Warriors within one. The Warriors would break triple digits on a layup from Davis to lead 100-99. Tied at 102-102, two minutes remained on the clock. Late free throws would cost the Warriors the game as they fell in the heartbreaker, 106-102.


What's Next

Southern Wesleyan will travel to play the Catawba Indians on December 21 at 2 p.m. They will then return home to host the USC Pacers on December 31 at 2 p.m.