Warriors Drop Intense Game to Hawks

Photo by John Bolton Photography
Photo by John Bolton Photography

Central, SC – Southern Wesleyan dropped an intense match to the Chowan Hawks in a 1-0 final score on Saturday afternoon.

The Warriors recorded eight shots and four shots on goal in the loss to the Hawks on Saturday.  Cale McLarnon took three shots.  Four Warriors each had lone shots on goal during the game.  Will Hughes played all 90 minutes in goal, collecting nine saves while only allowing one goal.


Game Vitals

Final: Chowan 1, Southern Wesleyan 0

Records: Southern Wesleyan (1-4 / CC 0-2) Chowan (2-1 / CC 1-0)


Coach Quarandillo says…

"Tough loss today.  I still think we are making progress and we can take a lot of positives from this game.  I will say that my team has heart and I appreciate how hard they worked today.  We have a difficult conference and putting ourselves in a position to win these games is definite progress.  We did that today and had our chances.  We'll shake this one off, learn from it, and prepare for another two games this week, including homecoming next Saturday at home against Belmont Abbey."


How It Happened

Chowan came out of the gates quickly as Mitchell Levi Lewis and Trevin Myers took shots on the goal, but Will Hughes and the Warriors defense stopped their attacks.  They continued to push the Warriors defenses, but they would not back down from the attacks.  Southern Wesleyan fought back, as Grant Kiker drove the ball down the center, but it was prevented from meeting the net.  The Hawks continued to pepper the defense, but their shots would around the net.  At the half, the game remained scoreless.

Harry Ardron and Toby Sims continued to push forward in the second half, taking several shots on goal, but Will Hughes kept the ball out of the net to prevent the Hawks from taking the lead.  However, the Hawks finally broke through as Joury den Boogert passed the ball to Ardron who put it in the net to give Chowan a 1-0 lead over Southern Wesleyan.  The Warriors countered with attacks of their own.  Alex Miner and Noah Sims took shots on the goal, but both were saved by Hawks' goalkeeper Ross Miller.  Chowan had the opportunity to extend their lead on a penalty kick by Harry Ardron, but Will Hughes dove in front of it to save the goal and kept the game at 1-0.  Despite several more shots, the Warriors could not get on the board.


What's Next

Southern Wesleyan will remain at home on September 25 as they host the North Georgia Nighthawks at 7:30 p.m.  They will remain at home as they host the Belmont Abbey Crusaders for Homecoming on September 28 at 3:30.  They will remain at home on October 2 as they host GA Southwestern at 4:30 p.m.