Warriors Drop to Hurricanes in Overtime

Photo by John Bolton Photography
Photo by John Bolton Photography

Central, SC – Southern Wesleyan fell in overtime to the Georgia Southwestern Hurricanes on Wednesday evening in a 2-1 final score.

The Warriors took 17 shots and four shots on goal in the loss to the Hurricanes.  Caleb Compton led the team with seven shots and two shots on goal.  He was followed by Noah Sims with four shots and one on goal, and Grant Kiker with three shots and one on goal.  Kiker had the lone goal of the evening.  Brandon Trimby started the game for the Warriors, collecting two saves during the first half.  Will Hughes played the second half in goal, collecting one save.


Game Vitals

Final: GA Southwestern 2, Southern Wesleyan 1

Records: Southern Wesleyan (1-7 / CC 0-3) GA Southwestern (3-4)


Coach Quarandillo says…

"Always tough losing in extra time.  We had our chances, not much more we can say.  Now it's time to focus on our string of conference games."


How It Happened

Georgia Southwestern attacked early with several shots, but Brandon Trimby and the Warriors defense defended the net.  The Warriors countered as Caleb Compton drove the ball from the net, but Oneil Lewis saved it from reaching the back to keep the score 0-0.  Attacks by Bryan Zuniga, Sean McKeevar and Sebastian Da Silva were also thwarted.  At the half, the game remained 0-0.

Southern Wesleyan came out of the gates swinging in the second half as Noah Sims drove the ball to the net.  However his shot went high, but that did not discourage the Warriors as Caleb Compton took a shot as well.  The Warriors continued to push ahead as Noah Sims, Grant Kiker and Caleb Compton attacked the net, but the Hurricanes defense deflected all of their attempts.  Georgia Southwestern challenged as Kellan O'Hara got around the Warriors defense to score.  The Warriors challenged right back as Grant Kiker and Noah Sims charged the net, and then a penalty in the box allowed Kiker to take a penalty kick and score to tie the game 1-1.

Both teams continued to battle in the first overtime period.  Alex Miner and Noah Sims took shots, but both went wide.  Georgia Southwestern with an attempt of their own but it did not find the net.  The Hurricanes went on to win the game as Sebastian Da Silva sent a free kick to Divin Moke who put it into the net and win the game 2-1.


What's Next

Southern Wesleyan will next travel to Mount Olive, NC on October 5 to take on the University of Mount Olive Trojans at 1 p.m.  They will then return to Childs Field on October 9 to host the Emmanuel Lions at 7:30 p.m.  They will remain at home as they host the Barton Bulldogs on October 12.  The Warriors will recognize their senior manager, Evan Bier, during the game.