Warriors Capsized by Bears on Dreary Game Day

Photo by John Bolton Photography
Photo by John Bolton Photography

Raleigh, NC – Southern Wesleyan dropped their last non-conference game of the season to the Shaw Bears in a 6-0 final score.

The Warriors recorded 16 shots and four shots on goal in the loss.  Caleb Compton led the team with four shots and two shots on goal.  He was followed by Alex Miner and Cale McLarnon each with one shot on goal.  Will Hughes played a 90 minutes in goal for the Warriors, collecting two saves.


Game Vitals

Final: Shaw 6, Southern Wesleyan 0

Records: Southern Wesleyan (1-11) Shaw (3-7-2)


Coach Quarandillo says...

"We just did not play as a team today, and it cost us big time.  These are tough, but important lessons to learn as we continue to lay the foundation for the future.  Now we have a bit of a rest before we focus on finishing out the regular season with four very important conference games."


How It Happened

Southern Wesleyan came out fighting in the first half as Caleb Compton and Cale McLarnon each took shots, but their attempts were thwarted by the Bears defense.  The Bears countered with a shot on goal by Carl Kennedy, but Will Hughes was able to get between the ball and the net to keep Shaw off the board.  Shaw struck first as Andrew Camilo passed the ball up to Marc Almazor to allow the Bears to take a 1-0 lead over the Warriors, and then extended their lead to 2-0 minutes later.  The Warriors continued to battle, but, despite shots by Noah Sims and Compton, they trailed 2-0 at the half.

The Warriors were not discouraged entering into the second half as Noah Sims rocketed the ball toward the net, but it went wide to keep Southern Wesleyan off the board.  The Bears challenged right back, looking to extend their lead, but Andre' Matzuda's shot was scooped up by Will Hughes to keep that from happening.  Southern Wesleyan continued to attack the net with shots by Caleb Compton and Sims, but the balls did not meet the net.  The Bears extended their lead to 4-0 off goals by Gianuluca Evers and Carl Kennedy.  Southern Wesleyan battled back, but shots by Jose Rangel and Ben Baker were unable to meet the net.  Shaw went on to win the game 6-0.


What's Next

Southern Wesleyan will next host the King Tornado at 7:30 p.m. on October 22.  They will then conclude the regular season on the road.  They travel to the Limestone Saints on October 26 at 4:30 p.m. and then journey to Due West, SC to take on the Erskine College Flying Fleet on October 30.