Battle Between Warriors and Hurricanes Ends in a Draw

Photo by John Bolton Photography
Photo by John Bolton Photography

Americus, GA – Southern Wesleyan and Georgia Southwestern concluded the game in a 3-3 draw on Wednesday night.

The Warriors took 20 shots and seven shots on goal in the tie to the Hurricanes.  Ashley Romanowski led the team with five shots and three shots on goal.  She was followed by Rachel Curtis with six shots and one shot on goal, and Joy Namyst with four shots and one shot on goal.  Romanowski led the team with two goals.  She was followed by Joy Namyst with one goal.  Jen Golio played all 110 minutes in goal for Southern Wesleyan, recording nine saves.


Game Vitals

Final: Southern Wesleyan 3, Georgia Southwestern 3

Records: Southern Wesleyan (2-1-1) Georgia Southwestern (1-2-1)


How It Happened

Georgia Southwestern attacked early, however Jen Golio kept the Hurricanes from scoring.  Southern Wesleyan would not be thwarted as the Warriors pushed the ball down the field toward their goal as Rachel Curtis and Emily Corriher both took shots, but it did not find the net.  The Warriors continued to pressure the Hurricanes with a shot on goal by Curtis, but Hannah Morrone kept the game scoreless as she saved the ball from entering the net.  The Hurricanes continued to pressure, scoring the first goal of the game with just over twelve minutes to play off the foot of Laura Duran Blanco.  Georgia Southwestern continued to push forward, as Alison Rugel scored to give them a 2-0 advantage.  However, the Warriors cut the lead in half as Ashley Romanowski put the ball in the net on a penalty kick goal to make the score 2-1.

Southern Wesleyan pressured early as Rachel Curtis drove the ball toward the net and passed it Ashley Romanowski who tipped it in, however the ball was saved from the net.  However, Georgia Southwestern countered as the Canes put their third ball into the net off a header by Eduarda Giusti.  It was short lived though as Ashley Romanowski quickly pushed the ball into the net to put them within one goal once again.  The Warriors continued to pressure as a corner kick by Romanowski came to Joy Namyst who put it in the net and tie the game 3-3.  Brooke Cash pushed ahead to take a shot to try and give the Warriors the lead, however Hannah Morrone kept the ball from reaching the back of the net.  Southern Wesleyan continued to put the pressure on Georgia Southwestern as Cayla Hughes and Molly Wanning put shots in to the net.

The Hurricanes attacked early as shots by Michelle Gustavsen and Alisa Barr would not meet the net.  However, Southern Wesleyan continued to pressure as several Warriors attacked the net.  Neither team could score in the first overtime period to force them in to the second period of overtime.  Southern Wesleyan put up a fight as Joy Namyst and Rachel Curtis put shots toward the net, however the Georgia Southwestern defense kept the ball away to keep the game tied 3-3.


What's Next

Southern Wesleyan will return to Central, SC on September 21 as they welcome the Chowan Hawks at 1 p.m.  They will then return to the road on September 25 to take on the USC Aiken Pacers.  The Warriors will then host Homecoming on September 28 as they welcome the Belmont Abbey Crusaders to Childs Field.  Kick-off for homecoming is scheduled for 1 p.m.