Double Overtime Thriller Ends in a Draw

Photo by John Bolton Photography
Photo by John Bolton Photography

Central, SC – The Southern Wesleyan Warriors and the Chowan Hawks battled through two over time periods, however the game ended in a 2-2 draw.

The Warriors recorded 13 shots and 10 shots on goal in the draw to the Hawks.  Molly Wanning led the team with three shots and three shots on goal.  Wanning was followed by Ashley Romanowski and Bryanna Pickens each with three shots and two on goal.  Brooke Cash posted two shots on goal.  Joy Namyst and Romanowski each had goals for the Warriors.  Romanowski recorded the lone assist for Southern Wesleyan.  Jen Golio played all 110 minutes in goal for the Warriors, collecting 10 saves.


Game Vitals

Final: Southern Wesleyan 2, Chowan 2

Records: Southern Wesleyan (2-1-2 / CC 1-0-1) Chowan (0-3-1 / 0-1-1)


Coach Morrell says…

"What a hard fought game today.  Both teams left it all out there, but really happy and proud of our girls.  Gave up an early goal, but held it there until half.  We made some adjustments at half, and got two goals to take the lead.  Gave up the equalizer late, but they fought and scrapped and never left down.  Ties stink, but really proud of the heart and effort."


How It Happened

Southern Wesleyan attacked quickly with shots by Molly Wanning and Joy Namyst, but the Hawks defended the attacks and turned the tides on the Warriors.  Chowan drove to the net as Carolina Lucci broke away from the Warriors defense and got around to put the Hawks on the board.  Southern Wesleyan would not be discouraged as Brooke Cash drove the ball toward net.  The Warriors were not alone on the attack as Sierra Gonzalez and Karissa Grooms each took the ball toward the net, but Jen Golio would not let them pass and kept them from extending their lead at the half.

The Warriors came out swinging in the second half.  Ashley Romanowski knocked the ball from the side into the center of the field to Joy Namyst.  Namyst punched the ball in to allow the Warriors to tie the game 1-1.  They continued the attack three minutes later as Romanowski got around the defense to put the ball into the net and give Southern Wesleyan a 2-1 advantage over Chowan.  The Warriors did not let the lead dampen the pressure as Bryanna Pickens drilled the ball toward the net, but the Hawks goalkeeper, Lynzie Hulle, kept the Warriors from extending their lead.  Chowan would not be deterred, as Carolina Lucci passed the ball over the Shannon Park who drove it in and allowed the Hawks to tie the game 2-2.  Southern Wesleyan almost took the lead on a shot on goal by Molly Wanning, however the Hawks defense kept the ball out to force overtime.

Chowan attacked early in the first overtime period, with Sydney Henderson and Sierra Gonzalez taking shots, but Southern Wesleyan would not be phased as Jen Golio and the Warriors defense kept the ball out of the net.  The Warriors countered with an attack of their own, but Ashley Romanowski's shot was saved by Lynzie Hulle.  Both teams battled it out in the second overtime period, but neither could gain the upper ground as the game ended in a 2-2 draw.


What's Next

Southern Wesleyan will return to the road on September 25 as they travel to Aiken, SC to take on the USC Aiken Pacers at 6 p.m.  They will then return to Childs Field as the Warriors host the Belmont Abbey Crusaders for Homecoming.  Kick-off is scheduled for 1 p.m.  The Warriors will then travel to Mount Olive, NC to take on the University of Mount Olive Trojans on October 5 at 4 p.m.